I've realized that it's been a while since I've written a real post. Here goes.
Fu-Hsing remains, in my estimation, the best school in Taiwan! I've been so excited to get back to my classes and see all my students. I'm certainly lucky - I have mostly all the same students, so there's not too many names to learn. And I still have the top ten percent of the students, so classes are generally easy to run because almost all my students have a good grasp of English. I'm definitely a Junior High teacher at heart, grade 7 and 8s are my favorites. I'm getting into the swing of Grade 1, but it's a little bit too much like babysitting. Crowd control for 42 little munckins is not my forte. I've been roped into teaching a Grade 1 after-school class, which is insult to injury, because it comes at the end of a very long day of teaching. I'm starting my Grade 7-8 Saturday Club Writing Class this weekend, which I'm pumped about. That was by far my favorite class last year, and I'm so excited all the kids signed up for it again this year. I'm doing a bit of tutoring as well, trying to get all the extra income I can.
The apartment is wonderful, it's just like we chose to live together! Each night people bring their dinner home and we sit around the living room watching Friends DVDs and sharing the internet. No cockroaches since I put out the traps I bought in Canada. It's swell.
My life is pretty much limited to work and going back to the apartment. Oh, with trips to the gym in between. Last weekend, I bought enough food to spend the entire 48 hours at home - reading, lesson planning and writing my paper.
It's not a very exciting life, but it's very satisfying. Having such wonderful students almost tricks me into thinking I want to be a teacher long-term. Then I remember that I have the top 10 percent at one of the top schools in Taiwan, where parents push their kids and theres lots of overachievers. Somehow I think teaching in North America might turn out differently.
No comments:
Post a Comment