Monday, January 03, 2005

resolution #1

Hi folks - sorry I've been a little random with my blogging, I have good reason. See, resolution #1 is to stop being so passive. This was prompted by my sad lack of exploration of the wonderful city in which I now live. I live in the affluent northeast area of the city, with lots of great stores, cafes, and entertainment. My life has fallen into quite a rut, a rut which only takes me outside of my rich 'ghetto' for Church in the even richer foreigner suburb. This limited view of Taipei is probably the main reason I have yet to feel the slightest glimmer of culture shock or homesickness for Canada. And I've lived here almost 6 months, and still haven't seen the Taipei landmarks and highlights. I decided it was time to do something about it. See, I do have a really busy schedule, so I had to make a rule that every weekend I have to do one new thing. Sounds easy, but my weekends are stuffed with Saturday class and tutoring, then Church and Spinning class; so it takes a very concious effort to fight the urge of going back the apartment at 5 or 6 and calling it a night!

Anyway, what have I done, you might ask?

Well, Saturday I went to my tutees house as usual. I'm not sure if I mentioned him before, he (M.) is one of my grade 7 students. He and his family are very, very interested in miniatures. There house is stuffed full of really big, doll-house like buildings will all sorts of little furniture. You know how some people are obessed with a hobby and want to tell you all about it and you just have to smile and nod? Well, I'm very lucky I like miniatures! I have expressed much interest before, and on Saturday my tutee's mother insisted on taking me to the Miniature Musuem as a New Year's gift. Who was I to argue!? It was fascinating, we stayed about 2 hours, and M. walked me through the entire thing explaining it. Then they W., the Mom, bought me a souvienier at the gift shop, and insisted on paying for the postcards I wanted to buy. On top of that, they gave me a lovely tea set (normal size one, not miniature) as another New Year's gift. Being such a gift person, I was thrilled.

Which reminds me, thanks Mom, Dad, and Kathy. I got my huge, heavy box and opened it with much anticipation! Stickers! Wine Gums! Tim Hortons Advertisements! FLANNEL PJ PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life is good. Thanks so much. I promised myself I wouldn't open anything that is wrapped until my B-day. It all looks so pretty, I'll have almost two weeks of anticipation.

Oh, and the second new thing I did this week: Snake Alley. For those of you who watch the Lonely Planet Show: "Pilot Guides" and have seen the Taiwan episode, you know what I'm talking about. Well, you know the snake guy who put the snake around Megan McCormick's neck. I recognized him - he looked exactly the same. I stayed far, far away from that booth. Actually, C. and I were trying to stay far, far, away from all the snake booths, which was surprisingly difficult in such a narrow alley. It was... an experience.

So now it's Monday, still REALLY cold in our apartment, but now quite nice outside. Go figure. I'm still enjoying my job - I hardly noticed it was a Monday morning. The end of this semester is so close, I can taste it. Then a little change of pace till February.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate your update. I check your site as much as my email...so I'm sorry if I was again anxious for you to "wake up" on the other side of the world. I don't know the Megan McCormick thing....must have been in a movie. I hope she lived. Love Ev

Anonymous said...

I was soooo happy when I heard that box arrived!!! That box had more prayer over it than any other parcel in the postal system this Christmas. Glad to hear you're able to spread out the excitement.